Sunday, June 27, 2010

The Emperor of China lived in a nicer place than everyone in the world

Yesterday, I went to the Forbidden City. To quote (well...paraphrase, as I can't remember her exact wording...) my dear friend Emma, with whom I was g-chatting on Friday night "that had better be an excellent place, because it has an awesome name!"



It was incredible. Words can't really describe how lovely it is. First of all, it is a UNESCO world heritage sight--and deservedly so, as it, like the Great Wall, is a testament to the skill and power of the Chinese Emperors. It was the center of power during the Qing and Ming dynasties. It is also, naturally, incorrectly portrayed in the Disney movie Mulan (one of my all-time favorites), but I still found myself singing "I'll Make a Man Out of You" most of the time--in my head, of course, because it would have violated the language pledge.

(Lion suppressing Cub? Demon? Not too sure....)

Everything was insanely detailed, and spending over two hours there, we didn't even get to see everything. What we did get to see were some of the Emperors' many thrones, the living quarters of the Emperor, and where Dowager Empress Cixi lived during the end of the Qing Dynasty.

(just your average wood paneling in the Forbidden City)

I wish that we could have gone on a clear day, as I can only imagine how the golden roof that signifies an imperial residence would have glowed.

(Golden Roof...and one of the HBA flags held by each of our teachers.)

Our plan for the rest of the day had been to go to 北海公园--Beihai Park, a staple of Yale's first year Chinese packet. But the Forbidden City was so massive that we were completely exhausted and ended up returning to Beiyu for lunch and naps. We plan to go sometime soon, hopefully with our classmates who are participating in the Duke and Princeton programs.

Today, I met up with many friends from high school. First, I went shopping with my friend Melanie, who is in Beijing visiting her family. She took me to a more-western style mall (although a nicer mall than I have ever seen anywhere in the west), and then to a nearby Chinese shopping area. Together, we haggled for earrings, and scouted out bags, shoes, and odd-bits. It was a very interesting place, and one that I hope to go back to at some point. What was kind of annoying was most of the shopkeepers assumed that I couldn't speak Chinese and would address themselves to Melanie, who speaks Mandarin at home. I could understand most of what they were saying, although sometimes they spoke a little too quickly for me. After we finished shopping, we walked around, and she showed me where her grandparents live; we tried to find where her father grew up, but were not able to do so.

Second, I had dinner with a group of students from my High School, who have been in China for the past three weeks, traveling and studying and experiencing a different way of life. They leave for the US on Wednesday, and they all thought it was very odd to think that they have been in China longer than me. It was so lovely to see them all, especially after a very difficult week--educationally and emotionally--that has made me miss home very much.

But I can already feel that next week will be better. Things are moving incredibly quickly, and I can only imagine they will move even more quickly now: we all now know where we will be going for our 5th week social study research project. I will be spending the week leading up to my birthday in Inner Mongolia, and I am so excited I can hardly think straight!

(I feel as though this is where I could be living...except I am not...)

No comments:

Post a Comment